The Lodge meets in Wednesbury, the name of which originates from the ancient name of ‘Woden’ and is situated in one of the oldest areas of Sandwell. ‘Wadnesberie’ now Wednesbury was first mention in the Doomsday Book. Nearby St Bartholomew Church stands on a site where a church has stood since 711.
The founding members of the Lodge were drawn from members of Dartmouth Lodge No. 960 [now No. 662] and Lodge of St Matthew No. 786. St Bartholomew Lodge was formed in 1857 and the first recorded minutes are dated 7th April of that year. However the Lodge was not consecrated until the 18th November 1857. The Lodge first met at the Dartmouth Hotel, and later at The Anchor Hotel. The Town Hall in Wednesbury has also been used for Lodge meetings.
The Lodge has continued to meet in Wednesbury since 1857, apart from a short period during the First World War when the Town Hall was being used for the war effort. During that period the Lodge continued to meet in Masonic rooms but in High Street, Walsall.
In early 1950 three members of the Lodge, Worshipful Brothers Ernest BROWN, Ernest DARBY and Sidney FOOTE, found the premises where the Lodge currently meets. The members purchased it and after considerable alteration and reconstruction the building was dedicated on 12th September that year.
2007 marked our 150th Anniversary. A number of events were organised to celebrate this. An open day was held on the 21st April 2007 and was well attended by Lodge members and many interested members of the public. The Lodge also held a celebration meeting on the 13th November 2007 at the Provincial Headquarters, Tettenhall Road, Wolverhampton.